ACES open source software pipeline (blender, natron)

This is all correct. The configs are for ACES 1.3 which requires OCIO 2.1 which is not currently supported by any DCC software to my knowledge.

If folks are interested, I do have an OCIO 2.0 config that has Reference Gamut Compression implemented as an LMT using the LUT made by @matthias.scharfenber.

I wrote up some docs for the configs, the Gamut Compression section is here:

Here’s the relevant part:
The ANM config uses Reference Gamut Compression (RGC) to address hue shifts in CG colors. Here the RGC is automatically applied in the view transforms of the ANM OCIO config, and also baked into the output when writing out to sRGB using 3D LUTS. This is accomplished with a 1D shaper function that transforms both negative and positive input value ranges into the 0.0→1.0 domain, essentially the ACEScct function mirrorred at the Y-axis.

The VFX config in contrast does not have RGC as a view transform or output and instead uses the Nuke Gizmo.

Feel free to play with it. No warranties, and note the caveat that there are limitations of the implementation of this as a LUT (as opposed to the analytical transforms). Because of this, the way I work with it is to only use the LMT for viewing, and never for output. For that I use the Nuke node.

1 Like