DaVinci Resolve DCTL and OFX Plugins

Hello Paul:

Do you drop the cube onto the LUT folder in davinci?

Excellent work @Paul_Dore!

Made a few revisions to the ACES OFX Plugin. The various versions can be downloaded from here:

The updated source files can be found here:

I’ve updated my ACES DCTL set to ACES 1.2

The new options are available in ACES_LIB.h and ACES.dctl

I will update ACES_COMBO.dctl and ACES OFX Plugin in due course.

1 Like

The ACES COMBO DCTL (the one with the drop down menus) has also been updated to ACES 1.2

It contains most of (but not all) the ACES transforms. There are also now individual OFX DCTLs for the different transforms i.e IDT, ACES csc, LMT, ODT (which includes RRT, and inverse ODT and RRT), and RRTODT (which includes the inverse options).

The big COMBO DCTL can take a few seconds to load at the beginning, but after that the performance is pretty fast. The compartmentalised DCTLs don’t seem to have this initial lag.

1 Like

ACES OFX Plugin has been updated to ACES 1.2

https://github.com/baldavenger/BaldavengerPlugins/tree/master/ACESPlugin

Source files:

https://github.com/baldavenger/BaldavengerOFX/tree/master/ACESPlugin

Updated BaldavengerOFX macOS installer:

https://github.com/baldavenger/Extras/blob/master/BaldavengerOFX.app.zip

2 Likes

ACES 1.2 Matchbox Shader

https://github.com/baldavenger/Matchbox/blob/master/Baldavenger%20ACES%201.2%20Matchbox.zip

Specific ACES transform shaders (ACEScsc, IDT, LMT, RRT, ODT, and RRTODT) are available in the folder, as well as a master shader that contains the whole collection.

2 Likes

Hi @Paul_Dore,

First of all, I’ve been actively using your tools, and I believe they’re magnificent. Really great. Mainly LMT_GRADE and LMT_PFE.

I found a problem using the DCTLs in Resolve 15.3, 16.1.2 and 16.2, though. An important one, even a blocker for using them in certain workflows. I realized that if I export the project or I grab a still of a clip’s grade, then the DCTL and it’s configuration does not get saved.

I wonder if this has happened to you and whether you have a workaround for this. In some workflows sharing and communicating grades is very important. I was thinking of maybe exporting the database instead of the project, but in some cases this will be very inefficient.

Let me know your thoughts!

I haven’t come across this (I have’t down a lot of testing in this area), but perhaps others have. Are you exporting the project or still to another system that has the same DCTL in its LUT folder? If you save a project (and possibly still) in 15.3 and open it in 16.2, then there might be a compatibility issue. Same goes for saving in 16.2 and opening in 15.3.

This might be something worth approaching the actual developers of Resolve about.

@Paul_Dore after doing some further testings, I figured out the problem.

The problem is the same as when you load a LUT and the system can’t find it. The thing is: if you export a project with Stills and LUTs it will install the LUTs on the recipient’s computer. If you use this option resolve will collect the luts but it will bypass the DCTLs and won’t add them to the ‘collect’. Also, when opening the project Resolve won’t let you know that those DCTLs are missing or where they should be place.e

The solution is that the person sending either the project or still (drx) using this DCTLs needs to also send the folder containing the DCTLs on the grading system. The recipient needs to place it exactly on the same spot on their LUT folder. Then it will all work.

Hopefully this helps some users!

Best,

J

1 Like

hi paul, thanks alot for your work to provide such a bieutiful work and great OFX/DCTL.
I am a bit new to all of this DCTL and ACES. but i am reading a lot about. so please forgive me if my quastion is so obviuse,
my quastion is for everyone here who can help : it is regarding BlackMagic Camera. spicealy the Pocket 4k/6k.
i cant find any IDT that represent the camera. is there a workaround to solve that? or do i need to use some kind of CST to transform the CS to a Vendor that has an IDT?
will be great to hear somthing about that.
and thank you everyone here who makes learning esaier.
cheers

That is exactly what you need to do at this time, because Blackmagic do not publish details of their colour encodings.

thanks nick for your answer. just to be sure from what i am doing is right:
-CM in resolve RGBY with timeline CS : rec709
-raw settings CS and Gama ; BMD

• node 1 CST BMD to Redlog3g10
    _node aces transform Red to Aces cc
    -node grading
    -node Aces transofrom aces cc to Rec709.

is this right? if yes:
how could i do all of that inside a DCTL??
where do i use the LTM?
cheers

Dear all,

After reading Scott Dyers’ posts “LMTs Part 1 -4” from year 2017, I today (May 25, 2020) downloaded Paul Dore’s https://github.com/baldavenger/BaldavengerPlugins/raw/master/ACESPlugin/ACES.macOS.DR16.AMD.ofx.bundle.zip

The downloaded OpenFX plugin called “ACES 1.2” seems to work with DaVinci Resolve 16.2.2.012, but …

When choosing the LMT-options called “Custom” or “Custom PFE” from the drop-down menu, and all the slider-controls pop up: my edited individual slider-settings are not stored when saving my DaVinci Resolve project?
I.e. it doesn’t seem possible to continue to develop a “look” after quitting DaVinci Resolve – the sliders are not shown when restarting next day?

Note: The choices made in the plugin’s drop-down menus seem to be stored, but not the slider’s edited positions and values.

I hope that someone has a solution.

Kindly, Lars

First time posting so I hope not to do something wrong, even more it is just 5-6 months that I’m studing ACES workflow (and loving it so far) so maybe it is just me not understanding something. I have a GH5 that I use daily, but I had the possibility to put my hands on a EVA1 and S1H and test this too. When I apply the OFX plugin and select the PanaV35 IDT I have to rise the exposure to .34 to match levels of the IDT built in Resolve. Is this a glitch or expected?

At the moment I cannot share still from the EVA1 and S1H (the production doesn’t allow me to do so), but as a surprise the VLogL of the GH5 isn’t that far off (clipping at 80%IRE and some problem with the blue channel, but the IDT inside the plugin makes it less problematic).
Still from my GH5 VLogL

I’m using Resolve 16.2.3.015 and the latest release of the plugin.

1 Like

Hello!
Does anyone have any information on how the installer for the BaldavengerOFX works or how to use the GitHub files? Every time I run it I get an error the following error. This action "Run AppleScript:encountered an error: "error: unable to open output file "x plugin "Read- only file system. Running MacBook Pro mid-2015 w/AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB with latest 16.2.5 DR Studio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

So finally found an answer on another forum so I will share it here. Place the BaldavengerOFX install app in your Applications folder before running it. Thank you so much Paul!

1 Like

The installer app is a bit contrary, it would seem, as some people have had success running it from their macOS Desktop, or even Downloads or Documents. Not fully sure why that is, but I guess if it’s not working when in Applications then try the other options (make sure the app is fully copied to the new location, and not just an Alias linking to the original).

hi Paul
i have difficulty on Mac OSx, i can’t see result DCTL when i change.
i’ve download BaldavengerOFX.app.zip but no software to open it
Thanks for reply

Hi Paul,

Excuse if this has been asked elsewhere and answered…I am excited to use your DCTL’s, but I am having similar problems as some others have recently posted. Your DCTL’s do show up in Resolves DCTL drop down, but when I select one it shows no effect on the image. All sliders have no effect. No matter which DCTL I select from the list, nothing changes.

and, when trying to use the BaldavengerOFX installer (no matter what location I run it from) I the error:

The action “Run AppleScript” encountered an error: “sh: line 0: cd: /Applications/BaldavengerOFX: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `amd_15’. Stop.”

I was able to load FILMGRADE plugin by manually dropping in plug-ins folder, and that does work just fine.

Really want to use those DCTLS…

Thanks for your time

I’m on DR version 16.2.7
OSX 10.14.6