Notice of Meeting - ACES Output Transforms Architecture VWG - Meeting #22 - 07/07/2021

Thanks Nick for the notes. It is always very helpful to go back to the notes and check exactly what has been discussed.

One thing caught my attention during last meeting (at 17:00) :

Also the mid-slope, this has been a constant thing that the ACES RRT is too contrasty by default. Obviously that’s an aesthetic preference. Some people love the contrastiness of the RRT. But we know that it can be much more forgiving if you take just the edge of that off a little bit, and especially for people who are used to looking at other renderings that tend to have a little bit less contrast by default. […] I’m thinking that will probably a value is somewhere between where we currently are, and if we over plotted, some other favorable renderings that people tend to like (like K1S1).

What about doing something similar than the filmic blender which comes with different looks for contrast ?

• Very High Contrast
  • High Contrast
  • Medium High Contrast
  • Very Low Contrast
  • Medium Low Contrast
  • Low Contrast
  • Base Contrast

Since contrast is an aesthetic preference, would that make sense ? I already asked the question here and I think this is part of what Jed’s hinting at with this thread as well. I guess it will be pretty much impossible to have everyone agree on contrast so having several looks could give us more options.

Chris