A single fixed Output Transform vs a choose-your-own approach

Thanks for this important consideration @Troy_James_Sobotka.

In general your approach 2 is generally applicable to many use cases. And I agree that RGB tone mapping is always end medium related because the hue skew is tide to the tone mapping. So the dynamic range of the monitor dictate how yellow orange flames become , it will be different for different outputs. This was maybe ok 10 years ago where all output media had similar dynamic range. Re-evaluating it today it is a no-go in my opinion.

But I would go even one step further in saying that an ideal mapping strategy needs to maintain the story telling intend. This is a much harder target. In order to tell the same story on different media you might need all sorts of output translation.

I guess this is another argument for a flexible output pipeline.

I hope some of this makes sense.
Daniele

1 Like

Scott, I’m with you that I don’t like the idea of an archival format that requires the use of a sidecar metadata file in order to decode correctly. It is hard to say with confidence that every production that uses (and archives with) ACES today is still going to have all the pieces together 20 years (50 years?) from now. I hope I’m wrong.

That being said, when I glanced at it briefly I believe part of the AMF VWG is consideration for archival purposes, so it appears that the overall architecture is moving forward with AMF being a part of the archive process if I’m understanding that correctly. Frankly, as Daniele mentioned, I’ll blame some of that on how much the output transforms have changed already, and restoring a file with a different version of the transform than it was originally mastered in could yield quite different results in some cases. This will be exasperated in ACES 2.x if the “RRT” becomes more neutral; anything encoded prior to 2.x will need to be handled differently.

As such, if we consider that having an AMF will be an integral part of the process and will include the output transform(s), I’m having a hard time convincing myself why this can’t become more of an open format, despite that I personally like the simplicity of a single set of ACES-defined transforms. What I’m hearing is that people want to use other renderers simply because they like the look of them better.

Now considering that the output transforms (and therefore the math behind them) would be openly accessible in the AMF, it is debatable whether vendors would want to make their proprietary algorithms publicly available. That being said, if someone wanted to roll their own output transform, I don’t see the harm in it.

I would say we are only responsible for the ACES-defined transforms (aka “default” transforms), and any other renderers are the responsibility of those that create them (vendor, studio, individual, etc), kind of like an IDT. I guess this indicates the ability of a user to add output transforms (can we call them ODTs please? It’s so much shorter to type, ha) to their system independently.

A topic probably suited for the AMF team, but I’ll mention it here: if multiple output transforms are included in an AMF (let’s say DCI, Rec709, and an HDR version), can we/do we indicate which version is the “golden image” for future reference?

Please please please, don’t remove ACEScc from ACES! This is the only log space, that lets do the white balance and exposure corrections (using offset) almost identical to the multiplication (gain) in linear gamma. Which is impossible for shadows with any other log including ACEScct because of its toe. And the only 2 reasons I finally switched to ACES pipeline are the ACEScc (which works without artifacts when it’s based on DCTL instead of Resolve built-in ACES) and the amazing gamut compress DCTL. So this is now the best pipeline I can imagine (And I hope it become even better soon, if Gamut Compress algorithm will be a part of IDT). Before I switched to ACES, my pipeline was based on making corrections in linear gamma to make the most physically correct adjustments, but it brings me to add too many nodes, because I can’t add saturation in linear gamma without introducing artifacts and having far from perfect luma weighting.

1 Like

That’s great feedback, thanks @meleshkevich. When we released ACES 1.0 it only had ACEScc, which we thought had advantages. But it was a bit too far a leap for some to adjust to and it broke some existing tools or at least behaved different enough for people to react negatively against it - hence ACEScct. I am glad to hear that someone is still using it and finding it useful.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer! I think ACEScc is also very important because it finally lets CDL corrections to be physically correct. And AP1 for some reason (maybe accidentally) is very good for WB from my limited tests with color checker and comparing it to different LMS spaces.
Many colorists I know think that offset over any log, and especially ACEScct is identical to RAW WB or aperture on the lens. I think, if the fact, that its is true only for ACEScc, will be mentioned somewhere, probably in the ACES documentation, it make people to use ACEScc more often.
Sorry I’m not trying to tell you what to do, I’m just a random colorist, and of course you know better what to do with ACES. I hope I don’t I say something inappropriate. I’m just trying to make the whole image pipeline better and more intuitive for all by a sort of promoting ACEScc. And my far from perfect English definitely doesn’t help me with that and makes me sound strange a bit I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

I currently see three topics in discussion for the OT VWG :

@KevinJW Would it be possible to upload the diagram shown at meeting#5 in this thread ? Or create another one if you prefer ? So the conversation about modularity/flexibility can happen between meetings ?

Regards,
Chris

@Thomas_Mansencal started to reproduce @KevinJW diagram on a Miro Board.

Some of @daniele 's comments have already been added (the bottom diagram I think) :

• I would not put output rendering in the scene referred bubble.
  • I would clearly separate LMT from the rest.
  • The output rendering is the collection of processes rather than one specific box.
  • You could put the “display encoding” ( EOTF and Matrix) on each leave, to clarify that the ODT should not have anything more in it.

You can make some notes on the board to share your thoughts. Cool !

And here comes stupid question#1. :wink: During meeting#3 there was a conversation about AP0 and AP1 spaces with the following comments :

Originally AP0 was meant to be the exchange and working space.

[The rendering transform] flips between AP0 and AP1 a few times.

When you look at the CTL code for the RRT and the ODT, there are indeed several transforms :

In the RRT :

// --- ACES to RGB rendering space --- //
    aces = clamp_f3( aces, 0., HALF_POS_INF);  // avoids saturated negative colors from becoming positive in the matrix

float rgbPre[3] = mult_f3_f44( aces, AP0_2_AP1_MAT);

rgbPre = clamp_f3( rgbPre, 0., HALF_MAX);

In the ODT :

// OCES to RGB rendering space
float rgbPre[3] = mult_f3_f44( oces, AP0_2_AP1_MAT);

I am wondering if those transforms are still necessary with AP1 being the working space today. I can see in the diagrams that ACES2065-1 is considered the scene-referred space. I am curious about why…

Thanks for your answers,
Chris

The AP1 to AP0 at the end of the RRT and the AP0 to AP1 at the start of the ODT will indeed cancel each other out, so are strictly redundant. Implementations may in fact not include them for efficiency, as the OCES image data between the RRT and ODT is never exposed to the user.

I think their inclusion is more conceptual for the block diagram, as the intent is that image data is in AP0 as it passes from one block to the next. But what an implementation actually does is not important, as long as it achieves the aim.

Hello, thanks Nick for the reply and I also wanted to share some updates about “my little experiment” on the Miro board.

I think we were able yesterday to move forward with a more representative diagram from Daniele’s idea. Here is my thought process (based on the two last meetings’ notes) :

• The fork should not be at the LMT.
  • There can only be one rendering intent.
  • Display transforms should be as pure as they can be (matrix + inverted eotf).

Based on all these assumptions, the only solution I could come up with was a three-stage process.

I am clearly not the most adequate person to do that but I have time on my hands and I find the exercise particularly stimulating. :wink: Interestingly enough, there was a conversation on Slack with some very interesting points that I think are worth sharing with the VWG.

First point was about similarities between Daniele’s idea and OCIO2 :

there’s a lot of conceptual overlap between some of the stuff Daniele demonstrated and some of the OCIO-2 architecture / design. (basically, from left to right, ColorSpaces —> Looks —> ViewTransforms —> DisplayColorSpaces)

And the conversation even got to a more interesting point :

There’s a super obscure ACES technical bulletin […] — TB-2014-013 — that provides an alternate “block diagram” conceptualization. It divides the ODT into two blocks: the Target Conversion Transform (TCT) and the Display Encoding Transform (DET). The DET is the “on-the-wire” stuff (ocio DisplayColorSpaces); and the RRT + TCT make up what OCIO calls a ViewTransform (for the ACES family, in this case)

I think it is a good thing that OCIO2, ACES2 and even BaseLight go to the same direction. It makes sense to me. So I have tried to adopt this terminology on the Miro board, because it is really helping the conversation I think :

• View Transform is made of Rendering Reference Transform (RRT) and Target Conversion Transform (TCT).
  • Display Encoding Transform (DET) is the last step of the chain.

Finally, some wise words from Daniele :

I think this abstract discussion about system overall design is important before we jump into the details of one particular implementation. Keeping it abstract at this point is key. The less you specify explicitly and the longer you stay on the mechanic side the more general your system might be. For example my proposal would also still be true if we decide at a later stage to roll in spatial or temporal processing per viewing condition.

Thanks Zach, Sean, Nick, Carol and Daniele !

Regards,
Chris

1 Like

In your version of the diagram, what is the single RRT block doing?
I think our two diagrams are almost identical but you put in a single RRT, how is this different from an LMT, if it is just a single transform?
Is it really needed then?

1 Like

Well, that’s a proper question. And this is where I’m probably confused. :wink:

Yesterday, three main steps were listed (with the OCIO comparison) :

• Look
  • View
  • Display

I think that’s a good summary of what we’re trying to achieve. So in my head :

• LMT is the grading/creative choice
  • RRT is the gamut/tone mapping (which is not creative for the sake of argument, it is “neutral”)
  • TCT is the viewing conditions and overall display capabilities
  • DET is just the technical encoding step

Which makes me realize I have four steps… :wink: Maybe what you’re suggesting is to merge RRT + TCT into one block and have several of them ? But then we go back to the LMT being the fork… which is not what we want, right ?

Since the idea (that I love) is to give flexibility/modularity, I understood that having the RTT as the fork would make things easier. Because you may want to keep you creative grade (LMT) while swapping the whole DRT.

Something I want to ask you about your diagram is : how the multiple output transforms from the ACES family are connected ?

Too many riddles :wink:
Chris

I see where you are coming from.
Your initial diagram focused on displays rather than on transforms.
I made yet another version of yours a bit to the right. I removed some details to not loose ourselves in the details just yet.

Thanks, that’s much appreciated. Food for thought !

Chris

The LMT is scene linear to scene linear, and the RRT is scene linear to display linear if I’m not mistaken.

Having just read through Ed’s paper (that Alex posted), I can see the value of a single RRT, and I would also keep Chris’ four steps segregated and not combine the RRT & TCT:

The RRT would provide an initial tonescale and gamut mapping and, as the name implies, is the “reference” for all other display transforms (it’s the “golden image”, despite not being actually visible; it’s purely theoretical as no current or even near-future display technology could accurately show it). This is the scene linear to display linear transform, and there is only one in this case. It needs to have established specifications for the theoretical display it is transforming to; we could propose, for example, something like 10,000nit peak, D65 white, AP1 (or maybe BT.2020) primaries, dark surround.

Transforms for “real world” displays (BT.709, Rec.2100 PQ 1k, DCIP3, etc) are based off this theoretical display, so the TCT for each of these displays is distinct, and mapping “down” (smaller gamut and/or dynamic range) from the theoretical display (display linear → display linear).

Both the RRT and TCT are potentially modular. You can exchange the single RRT for a different renderer (K1S1-esque, etc) and it would affect all outputs equally. Or you could swap out an individual TCT if desired. This would accommodate (I think it was Thomas that was proposing) a display-level LMT; except instead of an in-line LMT for a particular display, it would simply be a different TCT with the desired alterations.

Unless I’m thinking about this differently than Chris, to clarify the Miro board in Chris’ drawing the display linear line should be between the RRT and the TCT, as after the RRT you are in display linear space.

This is a nice summary of the status quo of ACES :-).

Don’t get me wrong, this is conceptually all understandable, and this theory harmonise digital and film pipelines quite well, but I am wondering if that concept of RRT really brings us something in practice?
And there are successful pipelines out there that work nicely without it.

I think I finally understood what you meant ! When you said I am focusing on displays rather than transforms. I re-watched meeting#8 recording and realized that I misunderstood what you said about the fork…

It only took me six days to figure something out ! Yay !

So, beware, I am going to trash my Miro board (but we have the screenshot if we ever need to come back to the RRT+TCT version).

Chris

If I’m understanding you correctly, the question is whether there is one “master” rendering, or whether there are multiple renderings, defined by some type of groupings (by viewing conditions or display capabilities)? Maybe this is alternately stated as there being an “intermediate” transform (in the case of a single RRT) versus sets of direct scene to viewing condition (display) transforms. I think that’s what you’re getting at?

For ease of description I’m going to describe this as two-stage (RRT to TCT) vs single stage (scene to viewing condition)

I’m going to make a start at a pros/cons list to help (at least me) think through this:

Two-stage pros:

• Single core renderer is easy to update/revise (ACES 2.1, 2.2, etc)
  • Single core renderer is easy to swap for alternate renderings
  • Specific displays or viewing conditions can be added (TCT’s) without re-analyzing/re-creating a rendering algorithm

Two-stage cons:

• Two step process is potentially less cleanly invertible
  • Requires better metadata tracking of the RRT version and TCT versions
  • Cannot take advantage of a potential future display that has greater capabilities than the “reference”/theoretical display of the RRT

Single-stage pros:

• A more “pure” transform from scene values to display values
  • Likely more easily invertible
  • Can add new viewing conditions at any time

Single-stage cons:

• Multiple groups of renderings have to be created and maintained for every rendering “look”
  • Rendering sets may be incomplete if developed for specific uses

I’m sure there are more things to add to the list, but that’s what I’ve got off the top of my head for now.

EDIT: Daniele, you also at one point talked about a “sliding scale” rendering where there is for instance a 100nit render and a 5,000nit render, and anything required in-between is calculated from a merger of these renders. Is there a way that fits into one or both of these scenarios, or is this a third type of approach?

As some whose happy that ACES is simple to use and gives pretty pictures out of the box (most of the time) I may be misunderstanding some of the intentions of having different, and custom, rendering transforms. I share some of the concerns raised in the TAC meeting about it as well. So here’s some of my (randomish) questions and concerns about this.

• I think there should be better understanding why there is need for custom rendering transforms. As @jzp said in some meeting that in 99% of shows they’re dealing with the RRT/ODT will be inverted. In other words shows that need to finished in ACES, the shows weren’t actually using ACES, so people just have to deal with it. I think this has been well established as a fact of life, but I don’t think it has been established what are the reasons why this happens so often (anyone know?). Maybe there’s something that the ACES Project/Academy could do to help with this situation (other than/in addition to the proposed model(s))?
  • Is there a danger that post facilities, and software vendors, start providing their own rendering transforms, and suddenly there’s 15 slightly different versions of effectively the same thing? What’s the point of ACES at that point?
  • How would this be presented to the end user? What new settings would be expected to be exposed to the end user (such as a colorist) in these types of models?
  • What is the benefit of custom rendering transforms for these end users? Right know with ACES we have simplicity and consistency. Doesn’t that go away with custom renderings? Or at least things will get more complicated and more things to keep track of.
  • Since everyone always mentions the ARRI K1S1 I’m going to as well. To me ARRI K1S1 is not a rendering transform from the point of view of ACES. It’s a look, an LMT. From ACES perspective it should be possible to have an LMT that has equivalent (not identical) look than the K1S1 with RRT+ODT (no inverting). If this isn’t possible, then that’s a real ACES problem, and that should be addressed by the working group.
  • What’s the role of LMTs with different rendering transforms? Does it then mean that, in practice, LMTs would be tied to a specific rendering transform? If you change the rendering the look will also change. Could the LMT even break under a different rendering? And in this case then, what is the value of LMTs? I thought the value of LMTs is that you develop a look and it will look the same or sufficiently similar regardless of where you output it.

Hello,

happy to answer a couple of these questions to the best of my abilities. :wink:

If I understood, the main reason why is “studio requirements”. Aka a project has to be ACES compliant, but will not use the ACES Output Transform. It has been brought up by Daniele and Josh Pines in meeting#5 (at minute 35:43).

The point of ACES is to provide a Vanilla Transform (like it has always been the case) that can be used out-of-the-box. But if an expert user needs to swap the Output Transform for any reason, he/she should be able to do it easily.

I don’t expect new settings to be honest. But I could completely wrong. The important thing is that ACES would still work out-of the-box.

I don’t think it will complicate things. ACES would still work out-of-the box for all users. But if someone needs flexibility for whatever reason, his/her life will be much simpler. :wink:

Hum, I do think the ARRI K1S1 is a DRT. There is a comparison of several DRTs on the dropbox paper. You can see the main differences, strength and weaknesses of each system : ACES, RRI, RED, FilmLight… ACES does come with a look as well.

That’s a possibility. I have posted some images comparing ACES 1.2 to RED IPP2 in this thread. If you look at the saturated render of Louise, you will some gamut clipping with the ACES Output Transform.

To me, the beauty of this idea is that it is not mutually exclusive with the Vanilla ACES Output Transform (expression used by Thomas in meeting#2 at 35:09). So it is a win-win in my opinion both for non-expert users (such as myself) and expert users such as Daniele or Joshua.

Happy to discuss,
Chris