Discrepancies using a “pseudo” ACES workflow in DaVinci Resolve via ACES Transform OFX Plugin

Actually this workflow will actually introduce a few issues.
You know what, you can actually try scrapping all the steps after you have combined your LUT (the 2nd Convert Colour Space and CTLs) and see if it gives you the expected results.

You will need to test, I’m not sure this will work anyway. But I will have a think about it.

Basically you want to find a way to convert your LUT to expect ACEScct AP1 and Output to be ACEScct AP1 but in the right way.

By the way if the LUT’s you are using are the film emulation LUT’s that come with Resolve, I think they expect a Cineon input gamma not LogC. They are similar but not quite the same.

I tried your method but unfortunately the result is off as well. Lattice also shows a warning that Rec. 709 | D65 | BT.1886 to ACES Primaries 1 | D65 | ACEScct transfer functions are not compatible.

Thanks for the tip on the cineon gamma. Didn’t know that. I couldn’t find any details on these luts apart from what people say online.

David, did you try this using Cineon Gamma on the colour transform? I did a quick test and it does wield acceptable results even though it brings you out of ACES in the end.

I did try it but im getting a less attractive result. Desaturated highlights, etc. Not as nice as the original. It would be nice if there was a mathematically accurate method to do this. I was looking at the ACES LMT generation section on the light illusion page. https://www.lightillusion.com/aces_manual.html
It seems they do a Log to Video process which may be the missing ingredient but i’m not sure.