Gamut Mapping Part 2: Getting to the Display

Hey @meleshkevich !

Hm, that’s weird. I double-checked in the last version of my DCTL and I’m pretty sure it’s using a pure 2.6 power function for all DCI output presets including DCDM X’Y’Z’ – Can you give any more details for a reproduction?

It’s going well thanks :slightly_smiling_face: open-display-transform is an experimental project I work in during my decreasing quantities of spare time. I have lots of ideas to test and experiments to do. I have been working on quite a few things lately. I’ll have a few posts coming up.

I recently pushed a few changes for an upcoming opendrt v0.0.90 release, simplifying tonescale and doing some experiments with different approaches for gamut compression.

I have no idea what ACES 2.0 will be. Based on the sentiment in the preceding vwg meetings, it’s sounding like it will be the same as ACES 1.2 but with a slightly reduced contrast for SDR outputs.

As for HK compensation it’s an interesting experiment but I don’t think the model makes sense to include in a display transform. HK describes a perceptual phenomena. The sensation of certain hues appear brighter to our eyes than the stimulus would indicate. Since a display transform maps one stimulus to another stimulus under different viewing conditions, perhaps there should be compensation for the different behaviors of the human visual system between the two viewing conditions. What roles HK plays in the differences here is unclear to me and I’m not sure that this model represents that well.

2 Likes