iPhone 15 to have true log / ACES support

From the Apple Event:

Looks like the new iPhone will have the option to shoot in log. This would be very helpful for post-production! They mention supporting ACES so I guess they’ll provide the data for an IDT around the release.

It’s interesting to see the first phone (right?) to have true log encoding. Curious what the actual dynamic range is. Go Pro also has true log now with their latest Hero camera but haven’t seen a paper of that yet. Still great that these consumer devices are becoming more usable for post workflows.

2 Likes

I’m curious what does “ACES support” actually means.

1. Will they offer to encode your video/photo with an ACES ODT ?
  2. Do they encode the camera data in an existing ACES IDT ?
  3. Do they will just provide the math to convert from their encoding to ACES ?

If it’s the latter can we really say it “support ACES” ?

Some twitter post seems to suggest that they have their own encoding (discarding 2.)

https://x.com/ajbazalo/status/1702396705826574452

Latest Resolve 18.6 update from today has “Apple Log” available in the CST and ACES transform OFX. I haven’t seen any PDFs, IDTs, or documentation published in public of the math yet, so I assume they were in talks behind the scenes to drop feature support this early. It appears to just be the OETF in the list, no mention of colorspace, presumably they’ll use Rec. 2020 primaries?

Perhaps. If it is available in the CST it should also list the primaries no? Unless they will say just use Rec.2020. But F-Gamut from fuji is also pretty much Rec.2020 and it’s still added as FGamut to the list.

It Looks like it is rec2020, in the Davinci CST it doesn’t have the option for the Apple color space ,just the LOG curve. But funny enough I think that the CST and ACES transform have a different Log Curve math, It’s a kind of weird curve tbh, regardless of which is the right one.

They seem to be identical for me if converting to linear. Had to make sure to disable Resolve’s default tonemapping on the CST OFX.

1 Like

I had tonemapping disabled , I tested by creating a linear ramp .

1. CST linear to apple log
  2. Aces transform apple log to acescg

This didn’t give me a no op even if it should, but technically I could have done it the other way around just in case , can’t check until later tomorrow.
I even tried with the fusion cineon log node that now also has apple log, and doesn’t have tonemapping option.

I cant wait to get my hands dirty with some appleLOG been busy at IBC all weekend!

its always a complete suprise with whatever crazy stuff apple comes up with next :slight_smile:

Anyhow, I would assume its that fun little “use forward ootf” button thats making the difference here?

it should be unchecked (both forward and inverse).

afaik it works like this

a scene referred space to a display referred space → enable forward ootf.

from a display referred space tona scene referred space, enable inverse ootf,

so for appleLOG to linear/acescg it goes from scene to scene reffered (i would assume)

i have seen resolve not do this correctly by default.

You obviously have to do the same conversion with the primaries and whitepoint in your cst to get a no-op like that.

I never enable the OOTF but I can agree that some times RCM and the CST makes errors with the OOTF so it could be related like you said.
I haven’t had a chance re check but the test I did should be a no -op for a linear ramp regardless of the gamut , but I tried with a cube and there was a difference aswell, no ootf on , no gamut mapping.

I set the CST from acescct AP1 to rec2020 Apple log, then an ACES transform from Apple log to ACEScct and it wasn’t a no op, it was close in some places but in others it wasn’t.
No tone mapping, gamut mapping, no ootf .

It could be that Apple Log will have a log encoding plus an extra tone mapping and the CST only inverts the log part , while the ACES transform inverts both ? Idk , just speculating

I just tried it and I get a perfect match between CST and Acestransform with applelog in regards to eotf also it works going back and forth as you did as a no-op.

the gamut however seems to be different between the acestransform and CST suggesting that appleLog is not exactly rec2020? but its just very slightly different, like VERY slightly.

3 Likes

Great! Glad to be wrong that they are different, but curious about the rec2020 part, I saw it too but I wasn’t sure if it was due to the curve or if for some reason it was really slightly different (almost not noticable tho).

Thanks for checking.

If you could try linear ramp with 1st a CST from linear Ap1 to Apple Log Rec2020, and right after an Aces Transform from Apple log to AcesCG.
Hopefully I did something wrong when I first check that.

1 Like

Side node: Resolve’s CST OFX seems to employ different gamut mapping techniques depending on input.

For instance
SGamut3.cine > DWG > Rec 709

will look different than

SGamut3.cine > Rec 709

Particularly for how it compresses saturated colors.

So the slight color differences you see might just be Resolves method of mapping Rec. 2020 to AP1 being different than the ACES OFX’s method.

1 Like

They shouldn’t be different as long as you don’t use the gamut mapper and tone mapper , just the gamut transform between camera spaces. To display that for sure will have different results as it’s tone mapping.
If they are different then it’s an error as they are matrices applied in linear

The specification was released on Apple’s developer download page, which requires log in to access. https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Apple%20log%20profile

I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to share the PDF here, but here’s a screenshot of the curve and decoding math.

They are indeed using BT.2020 primaries & YCbCr matrix math.

3 Likes

Here’s the untested Apple Log to Linear decoding function as GLSL. I’m posting this from my phone, will provide a complete and tested IDT as soon as I have access to a laptop.

float appleLogToLinear(float x)  {

const float R_0 = -0.05641088;
    const float R_t = 0.01;
    const float c = 47.28711236;
    const float beta = 0.00964052;
    const float gamma = 0.08550479;
    const float delta = 0.69336945;
    const float P_t = c * pow(R_t - R_0, 2.0);

if (x >= P_t) {
        return pow(2.0, (x - delta) / gamma) - beta;
    } else if (x >= 0.0 && x < P_t) {
        return sqrt(x / c) + R_0;
    } else {
        return R_0;
    }

}

vec3 appleLogToLinear(vec3 rgb) {
    return vec3(appleLogToLinear(rgb.r), appleLogToLinear(rgb.g), appleLogToLinear(rgb.b));
}
1 Like

Here’s the Apple Log Profile ACES IDT based on the Apple White Paper in GLSL. The matrix values are derived from BT2020 with CIECAT02 adaptation. Maybe someone can convert it to a DCTL and compare to the reference implementation (?) in Resolve.

// Apple Log Gamma to Linear Decoding Function
float appleLogToLinear(float x)  {

const float R_0 = -0.05641088;
    const float R_t = 0.01;
    const float c = 47.28711236;
    const float beta = 0.00964052;
    const float gamma = 0.08550479;
    const float delta = 0.69336945;
    const float P_t = c * pow(R_t - R_0, 2.0);

if (x >= P_t) {
        return pow(2.0, (x - delta) / gamma) - beta;
    } else if (x >= 0.0 && x < P_t) {
        return sqrt(x / c) + R_0;
    } else {
        return R_0;
    }

}
// Apple Log Profile to ACES_2065-1 (AP0) Linear
vec3 IDT(vec3 AppleLog) {
  float r_lin = appleLogToLinear(AppleLog.x);
  float g_lin = appleLogToLinear(AppleLog.y);
  float b_lin = appleLogToLinear(AppleLog.z);
  vec3 oces = vec3(
    r_lin * 0.6788911506598102 + g_lin * 0.15886842237789234 + b_lin * 0.16224042703562752,
    r_lin * 0.04557083087232135 + g_lin * 0.8607127720474108 + b_lin * 0.0937163970408747,
    r_lin * -0.0004857103518124508 + g_lin * 0.025060195735059528 + b_lin * 0.9754255145687619
  );
  return oces;
}
2 Likes

Hi Jon how would I use this in my node graph within resolve?

Their LUT package provide a 709 conversion and a linearization lut. (need Apple ID to view page)

They put the 1D lut in a 3D .cube file. Slightly odd. So I moved it into a .spi1d file and added a .spimtx if anyone finds the need to implement it into an OCIO config or or use it standalone.

Resolve 18.6 provides support for Apple Log in RCM and ACES so you don’t need any extra implmenetation.

Thank you shebbe, thats aamazing! Except what do i do with a .spi1d and the .spimtx files? I am a beginner, yes i saw the aLog in resolve 18.6 :slight_smile:

It’s not a 3D .cube. It is 1D. The Resolve .cube format supports 1D and 3D LUTs, or a combination of the two.