ODTs in Nuke

Can u point me to the right direction or answer here. I just want some things clarified.

Assuming my viewing device is srgb monitor with D65 white point. Why is the default view transform while working in Nuke and Maya a D65 ODT and not the D60 sim. As mentioned a lot of times in this forum and in the manual, ACES uses D60 white point (or close to D60).

It seems to me (maybe totally wrong) that when using the D65 ODT, the D60 adopted white point for ACES is simply “converted” or adapted to D65 white point, and the “warmer” effects intended for cinema viewing are “lost” in the viewer. And the only way to see them is the D60 sim ODT in proper viewing environment like dark to dim.

Or maybe D65 ODT is the right way to go. So, when we export the plates (lets say in ACES 2605-1 colorspace) for grading or for cinema projection, where other ODTs take effect and apply the “warmer color” effect of D60 for the corresponding device.

The main reason I’m asking this is because someone on this forum said that the view transform in this case lets say nuke, should be set according to the final viewing device. For example if cinema projector is the final destination then it should be D60 sim, not D65. I hope this is not the case because i always thought that the ODTs should take care of this, like converting from different color spaces and different white points for the desired devices. And the artist should be worried about choosing the right ODT for the device that he is working on and the viewing environment, not for the final delivery.

1 Like