Photogrammetry Workflow

Is my thinking correct?
I am looking at using ACES for a photogrammetry workflow and maintain maximum flexibility for VFX.

DLSR RAW > Raw Therapee> Reality Capture (output exr)

A MacBeth chart is used for reference.
An input transform is applied with a slight white balance.

Q. Would an AP0 Working Profile with an AP0 Output Profile with 16 bit tiff be best, or should I use AP1 since it will be graded eventually?

There is no colour management (that I know of) in Reality Capture so images are not mapped for application viewing.
There is a conversion of 16 bit tif to 8 bit jpg for mesh creation, however, it does not map correctly and is of little concequence at this stage.
The 16 bit tiff is used for the creation of a texture map and an exr is output.

I input the final result into DaVinci Resolve to check the result and use the color checker in the color page with a linear input with a Rec.709 target and gamma match.
It looks close to what I would expect, however, it is about 1/2 stop under exposed and the Red chip on the chart goes out of gamut.
Am I doing something obiuosly wrong, or do I need to explain further with images?
Finest kind.

3 Likes

Welcome and thanks for your first post!
We have a few users that have tried ACES with AR/VR.
Looking forward to seeing what people say!

ST

This is an interesting Concept. I use the Zenmuse X5s (10 Bit D Log) for my Captures and Do my Photogrammetry in OS software and had not thought of using an ACES workflow.
Have you progressed any future on your attempt at using it in your CG workflow?

1 Like

Will be watching this thread. Me too is working on asset creation using photogrammetry.