RGB Saturation Gamut Mapping Approach and a Comp/VFX Perspective

In my experience, negative values in dark grainy areas is very common. This is something compositors are used to dealing with and generally speaking these negative values are not problematic (unless a compositor is inexperienced and does not know how to deal it properly).

Yes exactly. In my humble opinion, negative values in grainy areas below a certain threshold should not be considered as out of gamut colors or even colors at all. If the max pixel value of an rgb triplet is 0.000006, should this really be considered a color?

Another question I have been wondering about is the question of exposure agnosticism. How important is this feature and why? The shadow rolloff approach to reduce the invertibility problems caused by very high distances in dark areas of grain does introduce a small change to the behavior of the algorithm with adjusted exposure. However this change is not excessive or even significant in the testing I have done. I would be curious to hear other opinions on this …

It is certainly important to look at images but it has to be done as the last step IMHO, here is, doctored, what I was writing on Slack last week:

I’m taking the exercise with three principles:

• The outliers we are trying to bring inside the working space, are naturally narrow-band and extremely saturated sources, so I want to preserve that quality at all costs, we should not be taking too many creative decisions at this stage, I don’t think it is the purpose of this group.
  • I would like the solution to be defect-free as if we were doing a plane, very smooth curvature, I was playing with qualifiers the other day and curves with a kink can produce defects when grading.
  • Has to be elegant, the RGB method is extremely elegant in that sense.

I think the first point can be assessed without any visual tests, if the compression function we pick, reduces colour purity too much, it is not good.

The second point is a bit harder, you take it from a mathematical standpoint and enforce/strive for C2 continuity (as much as possible) which Tanh/Arctan or a custom spline can do but not the others as you get a kink with them.

The last point is easy, less code less operation and simple design primes :slight_smile:

Now for the context(s), there are many and it is entirely viable to use the Gamut Mapping operator in other pipelines than the strict ACES one, especially because it is agnostic. However in the context of ACES where the transformations are immutable and without user control, we, unfortunately, don’t have too much choice.

This resonates with this post I just made here: Notice of Meeting - ACES Gamut Mapping VWG - Meeting #15 - 6/4/2020 - #6 by Thomas_Mansencal.

Let’s assume that we have determined good thresholds for the various cameras and we ship a dozen of LMTs for them. In one year, the IDT Virtual Working Group propose new IDTs that are bringing values in AP1 or extremely close to it. We would have to ship another set of Gamut Mapping LMTs. The subsequent year, the RRT & ODT Virtual Working Group propose changes that make the parameterisation of the Gamut Mapping operator sub-optimal, we then have a dozen of LMTs to update in a backwards-incompatible way.

This also supports the reasoning that while it is critical to perform to visual assessment, it should certainly not be our single prime metric because what looks great today, might simply not tomorrow.

Cheers,

Thomas

I don’t disagree that in an ideal world, giving options to tweak and customize per shot, per plate even, to our heart’s desire is the way to fix all gamut issues. I agree that with this tool and some tweaking, you can get really great results across the board, especially with different cameras.

However, it isn’t this algorithm’s job to handle / compensate for disparate sources. That’s the IDT’s job. Only in the IDT can we truly solve per-camera/sensor/source gamut issues. In an ACES scene-referred world, where data handed to the algorithm is in an AP0 container, our best bet is to be as agnostic as possible. As stated in the original proposal for this group and in our progress report, we acknowledge that this isn’t a one-size-fits-all problem, and the work we do can only really help 80-90% of generalized use cases.

We are stuck in the inbetween - between known input and known output. Our work plays a crucial role in helping ease the path of the future RRT/ODT group, and could possibly be rendered irrelevant by future improvements in the IDT space. I acknowledge this isn’t as flexible as we would probably like - but here we are. I’ll also echo that the replies on the post @Thomas_Mansencal mentioned:

Are super relevant here.

2 Likes

I agree. In the context of an immutable OCIO implementation for example, you would want the best default values to handle the most common scenarios.

I believe there is good reason to optimize for the most common scenarios however.

As I outlined in my post above, data that has been transformed into an ACES 2065-1 container from different digital cinema cameras will not be the same, especially in the values that are out of gamut. There will be out of gamut values that have different maximum distance and biases.

I think it would be worth taking a look at the current most common digital cinema cameras in use by the industry, and making a set of default max distance limit values that work well on average with data from these cameras.

I believe that doing something like this will give us a better looking results than compressing equally in all directions from half-float inf to gamut boundary.

Quick development update:
I made a few additional changes to the gamut-compress master branch.

• On the Nuke node and the Nuke Blinkscript Node:

• Add helper functions for calculating max distance limits given a source gamut or an input image.
    • Set default distance limit values according to average of popular digital cinema cameras
    • As suggested a couple meetings ago, I modified the threshold parameter to be adjustable for each RGB component.
  • On the Resolve DCTL I’ve fixed a bug with the shadow rolloff parameter not working.

• Thanks to some excellent help from @Jacob I’ve added a Fuse version of the GamutCompress tool for Blackmagic Fusion. It works in Fusion Studio and in Resolve Lite or Resolve Studio’s Fusion page. No watermark, fully functional.

• For the record, both the Nuke node and the Fuse are fully functional in Nuke Non-Commercial, and Blackmagic Resolve Lite.

1 Like

The problem with picking the average for a given set of cameras is that at best you cover the average cases, those close to the center of the data distribution. All the cases on the far side of the distribution will not work and we are somehow back to square one with user complaining, etc… If anything, we should only consider the outermost outliers here, but we won’t be in a position where we can guarantee that all the data is within AP1 ∩ Spectral Locus.

Maybe the solution for immutable pipelines is to have an infinite (HalfFloat) operator that gives the guarantee that data ⊂ (AP1 ∩ Spectral Locus) and another one optimised for say something like FilmLight E-Gamut that do not give that guarantee but yields better result for the common cases. People could blend between the two output if they wanted… :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Thomas

If using tanh compression you don’t need to go as far as infinity. Strictly tanh(x) tends to 1 as x tends to infinity. But for practical purposes the tanh of any value above 19 is 1.0.

1 Like

ArcTanh[1] is Infinity
Next value down in half-float: (Do we get 12 bits of precision in half float? or 11)
ArcTanh[1. - 2^-12] is merely 4.5
ArcTanh[1. - 2^-11] – 4.15
Thus, in practice we can only invert to 4.5. This surprises me, as that’s not very much.
Is that right?

Shouldn’t we be evaluating the full compression function here instead of one of its component? How can we compare anything otherwise?

We should. and I think 4.5 is then an overestimate.

I ran some numbers, to be double-checked because I’m tired.

I’m generating Float16 domain HFD above 1 and finding the point at which the difference between a compressed value and the next one is 0, tanh is looking a bit sad here, not that the other ones are great either, atan is a good compromise:

argmax(f(HFD[x]) - f(HFD[x + 1]))

[ Threshold 0.0 ]
tanh 6.58594
atan 7376.0
simple 23168.0

[ Threshold 0.1 ]
tanh 6.02734
atan 6636.0
simple 14744.0

[ Threshold 0.2 ]
tanh 5.46875
atan 5900.0
simple 13104.0

[ Threshold 0.3 ]
tanh 4.91016
atan 3650.0
simple 8108.0

[ Threshold 0.4 ]
tanh 4.35156
atan 3130.0
simple 6952.0

[ Threshold 0.5 ]
tanh 3.61914
atan 1844.0
simple 5792.0

[ Threshold 0.6 ]
tanh 3.0957
atan 1476.0
simple 3278.0

[ Threshold 0.7 ]
tanh 2.57227
atan 783.0
simple 1738.0

[ Threshold 0.8 ]
tanh 1.97852
atan 369.5
simple 820.0

[ Threshold 0.9 ]
tanh 1.48926
atan 93.0625
simple 205.625

[ Threshold 1.0 ]
tanh 1
atan 1
simple 1

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1f-5A-u7hqklDHYoWNLsQVSsy8MCUk6Js?usp=sharing

PS: Keep in mind that no particular distance is set, e.g. tanh defaults to inf and that the threshold values between the functions are not really comparable, tanh and atan can go lower than simple.

1 Like

Interesting. Certainly has serious implications for invertibility. The advantages of the C2 continuity of tanh need to be balanced against the fact that it goes so soon into non-invertibility.

15 posts were split to a new topic: Gamut mapping compression curves

Yeah, atan is the next one that is C2 continuous and maintains saturation to high level.

Hey @JamesEggleton,

It should be trivial to add them in the notebook, everything runs online!

I believe that preservation of “color purity” or “saturation” is a by-product of the threshold, not the compression function.

Tanh happens to maintain saturation at a high level because the initial slope is steep.

However, if the threshold is set with the intention of preserving high saturation, the same result can be achieved with the simple Reinhard compression function.

Here’s an example using the beautiful lambertian sphere :smiley:

This is the original with out of gamut values rendered through the ACES Rec.709 view transform.

Here’s the same image with tanh cmopression, with a threshold value of 0.4.

And the same image with Reinhard compression with a smaller threshold of 0.21. Note that the color purity of the blue sphere is pretty similar to the tanh compression curve.

(As a side-note if you look closely at the left cyan blob you can make out the more sudden transition of the Reinhard curve. I’m not sure if this is a by-product of the lack of C2 continuity or just the more abrupt transition of the curve from linear to compressed.)

And finally here’s a plot comparing tanh and reinhard.

Note that distance here is a parameter that specifies the distance beyond 1.0 to compress to 1.0. So a value of 0.24 compresses a distance of 1.24 to the gamut boundary.

I am following this conversation with great interest. It is all amazing work you guys do.
While it is important to solve the bit with the 1D mapping of RGB ratios it is not the last bit.
We need to remember that the neat trick of constructing RGB ratios might have reduced the 3 dimensional problem to 1D on first sight. But I am afraid there are more things to explore.

Here are a few questions or thoughts:

• How does the Gamut Mapping algorithm handle motion graphics with data that is very different to natural image statistics?
  • How does a red logo look like if the whole logo is out of gamut along the primary vector (but still with some scatter?
  • how well can we pull a key of saturated greens (slightly moved towards cyan (because of unideal white balance)) if we apply the gamut compression early in the pipeline?
  • what happens with feathers of wrong premultipied saturated text(yes this happens sometimes)?
  • How well can you grade through such a process? If I crank up naive saturation before, does it react good?

This might help us to answer the questions about order, mandatority (is this a word) etc…

My thoughts on the 1D mapping:
On natural images all of the proposed shaper function might work. I think a bit of overshoots are actually not a problem, I would rather give the next process block a bit of flesh to work with before flattening any data. If you leave a bit of topology in the data it is easy for other steps to further sander it. It is much harder to unflatten flat areas.

3 Likes

@jedsmith has merged my updated Matchbox shader version of his gamut compressor into his repo, so there are now matching implementations in:

• Nuke (BlinkScript and pure Nuke)
  • DCTL (for Resolve Studio, or watermarked in Resolve free)
  • Matchbox (for Flame, Baselight and Scratch)
  • Fuse (for Fusion and Resolve)

Hopefully this should make it easier for anybody, no matter what their preferred software is, to try out the current incarnation of the gamut compresser.

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Artificial test image lit by LED spectra

This is an amazing thread. Thanks to @jedsmith for starting it and to everyone for contributing.

In the interest of making it easier for readers to follow the different topics that are interwoven here, we are moving the discussion of LED lights started by @hbrendel to a new thread, and we encourage you to begin new, more topic specific threads to continue these conversations. Please only post here in direct response to earlier posts. If there are important items here that are relevant, please link to posts in this thread in your new thread.

This thread is not being locked for now. But please treat it as if it is!

EDIT: I have also moved the discussion specific to compression curves into a new thread.

3 Likes

…and in recognition of @jedsmith starting this topic, we’ve awarded him an Epic Thread Badge!

6 Likes