Will Current ACES 2.0 ODT Accommodate rec.2020?

rec.2020 Anyone?
How Much Into Future Will ACES 2.0 Look? … or is the future now?

Just wondering how easily the work with the ODT will extend to rec.2020.
Here is a link to one of several displays currently happening:

https://www.formovie.com/pages/theater

The specs say it produces 107% rec.2020 and for less cost per square inch than an OLED and with Dolby Vision HDR at 2800 ANSI Lumens (about 817 nits.) But, the point is that rec.2020 is now being produced in an available consumer product. Will this ACES 2.0 ODT be able to accommodate such?

Obviously nothing is yet set in stone, so nobody can say for certain what ACES 2.0 will or won’t do.

But the current candidate now being focussed on (candidate C in the tests) includes an explicit set of limiting primaries, independent of the target display primaries. This is also the case with the current HDR Output Transforms. So there is a choice when targeting a Re.2020 display to limit the output to P3-D65 (as is mandated by many current delivery specs) or to allow the entire Rec.2020 gamut to be used. The hope is that the ACES 2.0 Output Transforms will create an improved perceptual match between the result of those options.

Yes. ACES 1 already supports Rec.2020.
And it is still a requirement to have Output Transforms for Rec. 2020 in ACES 2.0.
In theory, ACES should support making output all future display technology primaries and/or dynamic ranges. That is sort of the whole point - many inputs, a single high-precision, high-dynamic range encoding, and many outputs - for both current display standards and expected, physically-possible new display innovations.

Just out of curiosity - could someone explain how even a 3 laser projector could achieve 107% of BT2020. I am struggling to imagine a chromaticity triangle on a CIE chart that could do that. I thought BT2020 primaries were on the spectral locus?

Good question… I would assume it isn’t exactly covering the entire triangle but potentially having a lower wavelength green laser making the triangle taller and having actually slightly less coverage on the right side but still claiming over 100%?

I had much interest in the product but the only resources I could find were Youtuber projector enthusiasts giving opinions with their eyes instead of measurement equipment…

Hi Jeffrey,

That projector can’t cover 100% REC.2020 after calibration.

It can provide about 100 nits calibrated but in a smaller gamut than REC.2020.

The primaries of REC.2020 sit on the border of the visible spectrum; they are 1nm.

You can’t have a larger gamut in the visible spectrum larger than REC.2020 when you use three primary colors.

If they can make a laser projector with 6 primary colors, they can expand the gamut, but all these will require so many changes to the whole industry that makes it very difficult to happen.

Ted,
Thanks for the info as to the Rec2020 calibration. I was just going by what the manufacturer claimed without the ability to calibrate it myself. And it does make sense as to the three points although I do not know what primaries they use.