A single fixed Output Transform vs a choose-your-own approach

Hello,

happy to answer a couple of these questions to the best of my abilities. :wink:

If I understood, the main reason why is “studio requirements”. Aka a project has to be ACES compliant, but will not use the ACES Output Transform. It has been brought up by Daniele and Josh Pines in meeting#5 (at minute 35:43).

The point of ACES is to provide a Vanilla Transform (like it has always been the case) that can be used out-of-the-box. But if an expert user needs to swap the Output Transform for any reason, he/she should be able to do it easily.

I don’t expect new settings to be honest. But I could completely wrong. The important thing is that ACES would still work out-of the-box.

I don’t think it will complicate things. ACES would still work out-of-the box for all users. But if someone needs flexibility for whatever reason, his/her life will be much simpler. :wink:

Hum, I do think the ARRI K1S1 is a DRT. There is a comparison of several DRTs on the dropbox paper. You can see the main differences, strength and weaknesses of each system : ACES, RRI, RED, FilmLight… ACES does come with a look as well.

That’s a possibility. I have posted some images comparing ACES 1.2 to RED IPP2 in this thread. If you look at the saturated render of Louise, you will some gamut clipping with the ACES Output Transform.

To me, the beauty of this idea is that it is not mutually exclusive with the Vanilla ACES Output Transform (expression used by Thomas in meeting#2 at 35:09). So it is a win-win in my opinion both for non-expert users (such as myself) and expert users such as Daniele or Joshua.

Happy to discuss,
Chris