ACES 1.3 Now Available

Dear all,

Thank you so much for developing the LMT “ACES 1.3 Look - Gamut Compress”.

ASAP please, when this specific LMT is to be implemented in Resolve and in Nuke: am I thinking correctly below, regarding the Implementation Group’s work together with BlackMagic Design and The Foundry:

Q1) In Resolve, this specific LMT must be enabled initially by right-clicking on the clip, i.e. not to be inserted in a node in Resolves node-tree, because when creating accompanying .cube VFX Viewing LUT representing Resolve’s ACEScct AP1-based node-tree grade, such an ACES2065-1 APO-based LMT, processing pixels individually, cannot be included in a .cube LUT?

Q1.1) Hence, the VFX-artist in Nuke cannot expect the inclusion of this specific LMT in the received .cube VFX Viewing LUT and he/she has to manually insert an OCIO-representation of this specific LMT as the very first node in Nuke when receiving an ACES2065-1 AP0-based OpenEXR-file?

Q2) Today, when delivering VFX Plates as OpenEXRs from Resolve, there is a disabling possibility in Resolve’s Deliver Interface called Enable Flat Pass = Always On. (The grade is represented by the accompanying .cube VFX Viewing LUT). But… will Resolve’s current Enable Flat Pass = Always On function really disable this specific LMT (when inserted by right-clicking on the clip, not inserted in the node tree grade)?

Q2.1) If this specific LMT is not disabled, must Resolve be equipped with a new additional function in it’s Deliver Interface - a “Enable Flat Pass regarding LMTs inserted initially and directly in clips” function?

Q3) If Resolve and Nuke still will not communicate via the Academy Metadata Format (AMF), how to find out (how to become noticed) in Resolve’s user interface and API, when pulling VFX Plates, that a clip once got this specific LMT inserted by a right-click - and how to tell/signal that to the VFX artist (for him/her to insert this specific LMT-representation in Nuke)?

Kindly, Lars

1 Like

Thanks @lars.haglund . All excellent points, and exactly the kind of stuff we are considering in the implementation group. Your input in the meetings would be welcome.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I guess it’s been said that I never tell anyone when I update the After Effects plug-in, so here it is: the OCIO After Effects plug-in has just been updated to version 2.0.1. Photoshop too.

This update was done with ACES in mind. The Invert button is now available in all modes, meaning you can actually reverse the whole ACES->RRT->Display transform, letting you send that JPEG you got off imgur.com back to ACES space and it will still retain its original look on output! Heady stuff. Of course the real magic is thanks to OCIO v2.

Since these plug-ins are part of the OpenColorIO code base, I was sort of leaning on them to make any announcements. I’ll try to keep up with the rest of the project and absorb OCIO enhancements as they come. Or as open source folks like to say: you can always build it yourself! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Hello Brendan,

fantastic to see you here :smiley:
Thanks for the info!

I always wonder why You don’t put those new versions on the first page of your blog as soon as you have a new version available. Seems a bit strange to me that I alway have to check for updates on the post from May 9, 2012 :grin:

But this is the opportunity to finally thank you so much for your work. I still don’t understand why Aftereffects has no real ACES workflow built in. Your wonderful plugin is so important to the whole industry! Thank you very much!

Greetings

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

After Effects does ship with ACES and ACEScg profiles, so they’re clearly aware of it. The crucial missing piece is an ACES Theater Preview profile to do the RRT.

Some have lobbied AE to open the door for using OpenColorIO as a color management option, but I don’t know how likely that is.

It would be really great if there were some sort of open source project to generate a full suite of ACES ICC profiles, but I personally have no idea how to make profiles that can work with values over 1.0.

I am trying this for years now. In November 16 I already thought of ICC profiles. But I am not a programmer. I just thought it might be possible. But I got the impression, that values above 1 are not possible in ICC. Because it’s mainly meant to be for the printing world.
We discussed that in this thread: Cinema4D in an ACES workflow

But after all these years of trying to convince everyone of using ACES I am really pleased that meanwhile a real ACES workflow from Camera, Redshift, Aftereffects and Resolve is possible. And it’s getting easier and easier. Thanks to so many efforts like yours with your fantastic plugins.

Peter

hi brendan,

thanks a lot for notifying that there is an update of the AE plugin…

when this will be available for artists on git-hub

Hello :slight_smile:

Is there a new config available in the meantime?
There’s a new version of the great OCIO plugin for Aftereffects, but I still use the ACES 1.2 config.
Is that still the recommended version?

Thanks!

Peter

Yes, there won’t be a 1.3 because it only adds the Gamut Mapping operator which cannot be expressed properly via LUTs.

Cheers,

Thomas

Thanks Thomas!

So we’ll keep using that.