Blenders "Filmic sRGB" in Resolve ACES Workflow

Hi everyone,

I’m about to explore the right workflow for grading an animated feature.

I will get openEXRs and they are rendered in Nuke.
They used Blenders “Filmic sRGB” via OCIO for the hole pipeline.
All responsible persons like the look of this Filmic sRGB Output Space.
So I like to use it as a starting point,
but how do I get this into a Resolve ACES or non-color-managed YRGB Workflow?

Is there something like an OCIO/ACES openFX Plugin for Resolve
or somebody know another way to get Blenders Filmic sRGB Look in Resolve?

The only way I managed to get this was via DaFusion (Fusion inside Resolve) and OCIO-node in non-color-managed YRGB.
Downside of this:

• every shot is processed via DaFusion and is maybe limited, loosing some information
  • every shot has to be DaFusion-cashed, if you know Resolve…
  • I don’t “grade” the EXR, I “grade” a sRGB-conversion
  • not ACES

Thanks

Thomas

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

please check out my website https://www.toodee.de/?p=3230 - I was just yesterday finishing an article on how to transition a Blender Filmic scene to ACES.
This is not what you want but I found out with a very simple scene that you can get a similar look with ACES, but this might depend a lot on the look of the show you are working on.

And if you want to use ACES and you want to grade the images anyway, I don’t think there is a linear-sRGB IDT inside of Resolve available to load in the EXR files without the Filmic look, but as you described that you get the sequences from Nuke, so you could simply export them as ACES 2065-1 EXR files (with a ColorSpace node).

I don’t know if you can convert the filmic view transform .spi1d files to a format that Resolve can read. Then it could work in a Resolve non color managed YRGB workflow.

Best regards

Daniel

2 Likes

Hi Daniel,
good timing for article. :wink:

I think there must be a solution via a DCTL, but I’m not a programmer and don’t know to handle this.
If I’m right, theses .spi1d files are the way to go creating a DCTL.

Are there some DCLT experts? :slight_smile:

Best

Thomas

Got a note from another forum:

He created already some LUTs!
:grinning:

I can work with these!

Cheers

Thomas

1 Like

Here’s a detaled post on how to do this with fusion and through nodes on the color page: https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/174228/92768

2 Likes

Thanks Cegaton,
that’s what I also figured out.:wink:

My hope was to get something working inside ACES, but nothing works for me.
Overall it feels a little wrong and I might see some color banding issues and crushed blacks via ACES(cc/cct).

I like to avoid the Fusion Workflow because of cashing a whole feature movie…

For now I will try a so-called Psydo-ACES workflow inside Resolves YRGB Space using the LUTs.

Here’s the thing:
Client seems already happy with the allover “Blender” look, so the producers don’t like to change it.
Mainly it’s shot matching and touch up and maybe a DCI-P3 trim.
Look suggestions and a first meeting are on the way.
I want to be prepared, if they really wanna have this look! :slight_smile:

If you are using filmic you are not using ACES, Filmic Blender’s Luts are designed for sRGB/709 primaries.

2 Likes

Yes of cause!

But you can use ACES before the LUTs.

There are some discrepancies, but you can do it:

Hi Thomas,

I am afraid you won’t be able to benefit of the two OCIO environments at the same time.

1. You use ACES, match the look or generate a slight different one in Resolve and be free for P3, HDR or whatever.
  2. You use somewhere in Resolve Filmic and the output is a BT.709 gamut tone mapped output.

The ACES (ODT) output is display referred, the Filmic output is as well. It is even described on the GitHub page.

As you can see on my Filmic to ACES “conversion” on my website - the rendered EXRs are in this case actually identical. The only thing that apart from a grading step in Resolve is the tone mapping method - Filmic or ACES.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

1 Like