Output Transform Tone Scale

I think you cannot find a solution by just looking at SDR images.
If you like the orange going to yellow on its path to white, that’s fine - your choice. You might be pleased by that. (I am too btw.)

But you cannot have a system that goes from orange to yellow in SDR but stays orange in HDR (or becomes yellow on a much higher luminance).
Then you would have pleasing SDR and unpleasing HDR. Or in other words a continuum from pleasing to unpleasing as you move up to HDR.
I cannot see a way how to avoid this in a per channel DRT.

The argument that in HDR more of the shift to yellow is actually happening in the eye (as supposed to on the display) and somehow counteracts the hue shift compared to SDR does not hold for my own experiments.
But I would be happy to see a prove or a small psychophysical experiment.

8 Likes

How might one engineer such an orange-yellow-white skew with an (otherwise) chromaticity-preserving approach in a way that approaches “pleasing” for both HDR and SDR?

I imagine one could bias the skew as a function of the highlight compression itself, which seems like something that would work nicely with something like Daniele’s and Jed’s adaptive tone mapping algorithms above…

Intuitively, it doesn’t seem like the kind of adjustment that can (or should) be made in an LMT under a single output-agnostic RRT. And if that is indeed the case, we’d have a couple of design decisions to make:

1. Would we want to “hardcode” this kind of aesthetic adjustment into the DRT itself?
  2. If so, would that require per-master DRTs?
  3. If not, are there other alternatives for implementing pleasing HDR and SDR skews that wouldn’t violate the single-nongraded-archival-master paradigm?
5 Likes

I wanted to differentiate between two things for sake of conversation:

(A) an orange-yellow-white skew

and

(B) the desire for orange to appear orange in it’s path-to-white.

The first (A) is the desire to change from one hue to another (orange to yellow), and the other (B) is the desire for a color appearance model that perceptually has hues not change.

Currently ACES does (A) a skew from orange to yellow because of clipping. Some may like this “happy accident” and it does sound reasonable to have an LMT that allows one to go back to the previous look of an ACES version, including ACES 1.2.

I do not wish to invalidate that if it is something that artists want. However, I do want to clarify that the desire for colors of fire etc. to not look salmon or pinkish is not an issue of desiring colors to change from one hue to another (orange to yellow), rather it is the desire to have orange stay orange and not appear to shift to red (or pink as light red is commonly known) as it moves towards achromatic white. This is, I’d say, a matter of the ideal color appearance model which is perceptually hue-preserving.

I can see that (A) clearly is problematic for HDR. On the other hand I do not believe there is anything in (B) which is inherently problematic for HDR and SDR.

TL;DR: there are valid arguments for artists to desire both (A) and (B), but hopefully it is useful to differentiate between the two aims.

As a follow-up to the discussion here on fire, light, and kelvin temps, I wanted to post some comparison pics showing where OpenDRT was and where it is now. It’s looking really amazing!

Let’s begin with the ground-truth image of file that @Thomas_Mansencal made. I’m comparing the current version (0.0.82) with 0.0.80 because the improvements are most noticeable making it super satisfying to compare as a before/after “wow”:

Zooming in to see better we have tangine-salmon on the left and a lovely golden fire on the right:

Increasing the exposure to make it look hot:

and adding in saturation to get that ACES-fire-look lots of folks like. The v82 fire looks great, but the v80 fire is looking quite unnatural:

Let’s look at some CG stuff. First is kelvin temperatures on lights, shown here on the lamp shade:

Here’s CG pyro:

Notice that in both versions the “happy accident” of orange going to yellow is not happening (by design). However, on Thomas’ ground-truth fire photo we do see different hues of orange and yellow. Not because it’s clipping, but because the real fire scene data actually has those different colors. To get those same complex hues in CG fire/pyro one can use a ramp with different kelvin temperature values. The current Houdini pyro shader works this way. No need for clipping. Orange is orange, yellow is yellow. This approach would then not present a conflict between HDR and SDR, just as a photo of fire would not.

Finally, to get an overview of how these color’s path-to-white looks here are sweeps, the rows (left to right) go from red to yellow, and the columns (top to bottom) are incrementing these by 1 exposure stop.

As an artist, I’m super excited about this! Hats off to @jedsmith for some truly amazing work!

3 Likes

Haven’t tried the latest but that fireplace certainly looks closer to what I perceive :slight_smile:

v0.0.82 is worth poking at. I think it’s Jed’s best work so far. It includes a very interesting feature :

Update perceptual dechroma to use ICtCp colorspace. This biases the chromaticity-linear hue paths of the highlight dechroma and gamut compression, along perceptual hue-lines, resulting in more natural looking colors and better appearance matching between HDR and SDR outputs.

From the tests I have been doing, it gives a very nice span of values. This is a sweep from an ACEScg blue primary to magenta. It goes like this :

• 0/0/1 - 0.1/0/1 - 0.2/0/1 - 0.3/0/1 - 0.4/0/1 - 0.5/0/1 - 0.6/0/1 - 0.7/0/1 - 0.8/0/1 - 0.9/0/ - 1/0/1

Same render displayed with ACES 1.2. My range of values got collapsed into two.

Thanks,
Chris

PS : If you’re wondering what you’re looking at. I don’t blame you. This the CG model EiskoLouise lit by an Area Light. This is the render with achromatic values :

1 Like

Yes indeed. ICtCp is a very important part of getting perceptual right for HDR. It’s better than OkLab for this specific purpose although it has worse hue prediction in the SDR range.

1 Like

It’s been pretty quiet here lately.

I will share here a couple of new developments in my thinking about tonescale model. (Every time I write the word tonescale I hear @Troy_James_Sobotka 's voice in my head echoing “But it doesn’t really map “tone” does it?” But unfortunately I don’t have a better commonly understood term to use so I’ll just keep using this one).

Since @daniele posted his initial model I have torn it apart and rebuilt it many times, each time understanding it a bit better. I moved all the pieces around, solved for different parts, tried to constrain output middle grey and peak. Eventually in my last post above I settled on a constraint for middle grey, so that the user effectively controls display peak luminance and display grey luminance.

But the added complexity always bugged me. In the end the grey constraint didn’t really solve anything. We still had to create a model for changing the curve over different display peak luminances. Instead of creating a model for the grey intersection point, why not just scrap the intersection constraint entirely and just make a model for the 4 core parameters of the function:

• input exposure
  • output normalization
  • contrast
  • flare

With this in mind I started from scratch again, from the simplest form of the function.
The simple compressive hyperbola / Michaelis-Menten equation: f\left(x\right)=\frac{x}{x+1}

This function (or the Naka-Rushton / Hill-Langmuir variation of it) has been shown to describe well the response to stimulus of photoreceptor cells in the retina.

In the above form the asymptote as x approaches infinity, y approaches 1. If the hyperbola is plotted with a log-ranging x-axis, it forms a familiar sigmoid shape.

If we replace the 1 with a variable f\left(x\right)=\frac{x}{x+s_{x}}\ , we can have control over input exposure. As s_x increases, input exposure decreases.

Then we can add a power function for contrast, and another scale for output normalization: f\left(x\right)=s_{y}\left(\frac{x}{x+s_{x}}\ \right)^{p}.

This gives us 3 variables to adjust: input exposure, contrast, and output normalization. We also want some way of controlling flare or glare compensation, so we add an additional parabolic toe compression function f\left(x\right)=\frac{x^{2}}{x+t_{0}}, where t_0 is the amount of toe compression.

Here is a desmos plot with the above 4 variables exposed for adjusting: Michaelis-Menten Tonescale - The math can be abstract so I find that it’s good for us normal humans to fiddle with parameters and watch how they change.

Cool. So that leaves us with the task of coming up with some model to describe how to change these 4 parameters based on varying display peak luminance values.

I’ve done some quick models using the desmos nonlinear regression solver, based on a few data points from the previous behavior of OpenDRT: Michaelis-Menten Tonescale

However would be very curious to do some tests with the OpenDRT Params version, which I have recently modified to expose the above 4 parameters. I only have access to a 800nit peak luminance OLED tv, so I am taking a shot in the dark for HDR settings above that realm. If there’s anyone reading this who is curious and has access to something like a Sony X300…

3 Likes

Seems worth interrogating?

What is the input abscissa here? It certainly can’t be random radiometric-like RGB stimulus? Given that a near UV or near IR response at the cone level will be radically different to say, 555nm, the choice of input domain stimulus seems absolutely critical. Random ass RGB feels bunko here.

I’m guessing that with the proper input domain stimulus, the output would be roughly something in the relative “brightness” domain on the ordinate output, assuming the input stimulus is properly chosen. That output would in fact correlate to a sensation-like response, and sure feels a helluva lot closer to sensation of “tone”.

Contrast seems odd here, no? It isn’t like our virtual observer’s cellular / psychophysical response would be shifting in contrast in the proper stimulus domain?

If Naka Rushton is a reasonable approximation, the weighting and shape seems critical in much the same way L* is. Shouldn’t a “contrast” adjustment, being sensation, be applied to a sensation domain?

Finally, if we focus less on the “mapping” component and more on the implicit idea of “contrast”, it would seem feasible to deduce how much dechroma must be applied to achieve a metric of contrast?

BT.709 blue carries a whopping 7 nits (HKE bunko flicker photometry deep questions aside, which are helluva important of course) at maximal emission. As we can easily recognize, post compression via a virtual observer has zero chance to convey the sense of contrast if we are trapped in the 0-7 nit range.

This is the fundamental difference between crappy emissive stimulus mapping and subtractive media; the range of contrast is greatly expanded in the latter, while the former is hopeless.

As a result, if we get a sense of the contrast via the virtual observer, we can use the extended display range, via dechroma, to represent that contrast more accurately at the display perhaps?

4 Likes

I think that makes sense. From the experiment I’ve done trying to line up multiple master targets with as little manual trimming as possible, blues and purples need to be equalized with the other hues in order for the scene for feel consistent. It is especially jarring with very emissive blues — say (5, 5, 15) — when compared to a very emissive green — say (5, 15, 5). To do so, one can tweak the norm, the saturation or the amount of dechroma. I get the feeling that the ideal parameters for dechroma are hue and target-device dependent. See Björn Ottosson’s post about chroma clipping.

1 Like

Not sure, what thread is the most suitable for this.
I have a proposal for Inverse ODT “IDTs”.
For now they clip signal below 0 and above 1. This is expected of course as they are inverse ODTs. But a lot of Rec709 footage from camera (phones, DSLRs) have useful information below and above legal levels. It often lets bring back clipped sky for example. And this is impossible to do with current Inverse ODT (and with current version of OpenDRT). So if I get some shots in rec709 from a phone or DSLR camera, I have to put some softclipping before Inverse ODT. This is impossible to do if I would use built-in ACES in Resolve. There is nothing I can put before IDT.
But even soft-clipping is far from a perfect solution. I think, the most natural way for preserving these illegal values would be interpolating (un)tone-mapping curve of inverse ODT.
This probably can’t be named Inverse ODT. But I think this is an important thing, as for now ACES can’t preserve all the information from a camera rec709 source. I know, camera manufacturers are responsible for this and place useful information into illegal range instead of tone-mapping it.
But if this is a matter of a few lines of code to implement this, it would be awesome :slight_smile:

I am going to have to ask you how this can happen. If a Rec.709 image file is display-encoded then all the values should lie between 0…1 and have the Rec.709 EOTF applied to them. Same for sRGB, BT.1886 and Display P3 as those are all 0…1 relative encoding. Could it be that you are using raw files in scene-referred Rec.709 gamut? In that case, the IDT is not the inverse ODT but a simple 3x3 matrix transform.

Any signal below minimum code or above maximum code value, e.g. outside [0, 255] in 8-bit, is lost in a typical integer processing chain, I’m confused as to what you are referring to here. Do you have a practical example?

I assume he’s talking about “video” cameras or broadcast TV cameras, where there is often information above 100% white, which is preserved in the super-white range above CV940 of the “legal range” coding that this kind of camera normally uses.

Just regular h264 video files from some phones and DSLRs. They often have information above the legal range. And signal levels are also set correctly, this was the first thing I checked when I’ve noticed this at the first time.

No, I’m not talking about RAW files with output set to Rec709, I understand that there is almost always no tone-mapping and it’s just a Rec709 formula encoding curve. And because of that it has a lot of useful information above 1.

Yes, this is exactly what I’m talking about, thanks!

Here is a source footage from Sony alpha A7C. It has Limited range in metadata. And visually looks like this metadata is correct. So we probably can assume that this video is in limited levels, and that setting levels to Video is correct (which is also usually done automatically). But it has information above legal range. Details of the clipped window could be restored if “Inverse Rec709 ODT” IDT didn’t clip at 1. And sometimes there is some information below legal black as well.

I will take a look at the footage later but the Inverse ODT should not clip and it will reexpand the values to its original domain, e.g [0.002, 16.3] for the sRGB 100nits ODT. Two questions: Is the footage encoded with the Rec709 ODT and which software are you using to apply the inverse ODT, it works perfectly in Nuke for example.

Footage is Rec709-ish (with tone-mapping and other things) source from camera. So it’s encoded by camera. I use Resolve. I also have Nuke non-commercial, but I don’t use it. I’ve opened it a few times, when I was helping a cleanup artist to set up her Nuke color management.

Actually here is another example of a similar problem (not related to ACES but super white data). Nuke wasn’t able to bring back superwhite information from rec709 video in limited range. That’s why we decided to encode it into LogC in Resolve, so cleanup artist would have all the super white data. But probably Nuke can do it somehow. I opened nuke just a few times.

Well you have to choose between Legal range and Full range in Resolve. There’s also Auto but I’m not sure what algorithm it uses to pick between Legal and Full since I prefer not leaving anything to chance and I don’t use it. Actually, as a game developer, I never use Legal range :slight_smile: so when you talk of CV 940 being 100% white, I’m thinking more 940/1023 white. For me 100% white is graphics white at CV 1023 :slight_smile: thus you can’t have anything display-encoded higher than 100% and lower than 0%

Applying the Inverse ODT seems like a super bad idea here as you have no clue as to what was used on the way forward. You would probably need to shoot some test footage at different exposures and retrieve the camera response functions (CRFs) to get anywhere sensible.

With Nuke, you should be able to load the data without processing at which point you can do legal to full scaling, linearisation, etc… Admittedly, It can get ugly rather quickly though!

I understand that doing this inverts all the RRT things that wasn’t made by the camera. But it also does one very important thing. It is undoing tonemapping that is presented in the rec709-ish source. Of course its just an approximation and it will never give me real scene linear values. But I’ve never noticed any artifacts by doing so. And in the end it goes back by the same ODT that was used as an inverse. At least for SDR ODTs it looks pretty good for me. It’s way better and quicker to work with compared to using rec709 formula for transforming source footage into ACES. Because it would give double tone mapping in the end. And also it’s so unintuitive to work with tone mapped highlights that are baked in in the working space.

Video range is very common in video :slight_smile: Even LogC ProRes from Alexa is in video range.