Resolve on iPadPro XDR and ACES or other view transforms

Hi,
I had a look at Resolve on the iPad Pro XDR. It’s actually quite easy to import EXR files into Resolve and view them in ACES in SDR and HDR. I did not find a way to set and IDT yet, but this can be handled in the color tab with a ColorSpace Transform.

Does anyone have an idea how Resolve “speaks” to the XDR-display and if the SDR and HDR results show the same result than with a desktop resolve and a proper reference display? I did not had a chance to test that.

And another question maybe for @nick . Do you have any idea if it’s possible to load custom DCTL into Resolve on the iPad? I would like to test and view results from the ODT meetings directly on the iPad.

Best, Daniel

It is absolutely possible to use custom DCTL in Resolve on iPad. I have been using my iPad Pro as a way of testing HDR / SDR matching with the candidate DCTLs*. There is not yet a way to add them as custom ACES transforms, so you have to simply add them to the LUT folder using the Files app, and apply them on nodes. If you set your timeline to Rec.2100 PQ, you can easily flip between the PQ 1000 DCTL and the Rec.709 sim version to compare SDR and HDR.

* Note that the DCTLs in this repo are designed to be used as custom ACES transforms on a desktop Resolve system, so include the necessary first line :
DEFINE_ACES_PARAM(IS_PARAMETRIC_ACES_TRANSFORM: 0)
This line needs to be removed to use the DCTLs on iPad (or in a DCTL node on a desktop system).

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip,

I found a little video with a provided link that shows the differences between the free Resolve version on iPad vs. the paid Studio version. DCTL is mentioned there as a feature of the Studio version?

Weirdly I did not see any comparison sheet on the Blackmagic website.

I will try out the last DCTL version from you in the upcoming days.

Here’s a feature comparison:

The two big differences are DCTL (it will have watermarks in the free version) and resolutions above UHD 4K.

This is for the desktop version, but not for the iPad version as far as I can see?

Ah okay. Well the video you found looks to be a great resource then